Minutes of May General Meeting

Minutes of TAPP Inc. General Meeting May 11, 2021

Held at the Caloundra Power Boat Club

All welcomed by Paul Harney President of TAPP

Paul acknowledged the traditional owners of the land on which we meet – the Kabi Kabi and Jinibara people and their elders past, present and emerging.

Welcome to new and long-standing members and a quick self-introduction by members in attendance.

Guest Speaker – Ben Bosschieter from Maritime Safety Queensland (MSQ)

The MSQ office in Mooloolaba is responsible for all shipping from Double Island Point to Brisbane. They work in conjunction with Marine Parks and Police to maintain the waterways.

The aim is to educate and enforce rules when and where possible.

The concerns put forward by TAPP members were the problem with live-aboards who are not disposing of waste correctly, speed of watercraft causing erosion, disturbing resting birdlife and being a hazard for other Passage users, lack of appropriate monitoring of watercraft and regular maintenance of the channel markers as the sandbanks are constantly moving.

Ben encouraged TAPP to communicate with MSQ regularly to put forward our concerns. He said that if community groups could come together around common concerns and then contact MSQ it was more likely that MSQ would act on the concerns. He also mentioned that the community can assist MSQ and send any observations of illegal behaviour, a photo or video which clearly shows the craft/person involved to  sunshinecoast.maritime@msq.gov.au

  1. Member attendance: as per attendance book (14)

Apologies : – as per attendance book (9)

Motion put that the apologies be accepted

Moved: Carla                         Seconded: Paul


  1. Minutes of Previous Meeting

Motion put that the minutes of the April meeting be accepted as a true record.

Moved: Paul              Seconded: Craig                                Carried


  1. Business arising from the minutes of the previous meeting.

Jude – The Junior Wildlife Art Prize which TAPP had offered to contribute to has been deferred


  1. Correspondence (summarized version) Paul

A number of requests to complete surveys – these are very important as it is our chance to have input into policy which affects the Passage.

SE Qld National Resource Management Plan Review – an important document that directly affects the Pumicestone Passage and will link in with the Pumicestone Passage Catchment Plan. Closes on the 15th May.  It is interesting to download the document and read the data about our Natural Resources.             https://hlw.org.au/nrmplan/

Or just complete the survey here –     SEQ NRM Plan Review (arcgis.com)

Organization of Sunshine Coast Association of Residents (OSCAR) – general news and links –https://www.oscar.org.au/

OSCAR -information which may inform your response to Mass Transit survey = 𝗡𝗼𝘁𝗲: 𝗢𝗦𝗖𝗔𝗥 𝘀𝘁𝗿𝗼𝗻𝗴𝗹𝘆 𝗮𝗱𝘃𝗶𝘀𝗲𝘀 𝗰𝗼𝗺𝗺𝘂𝗻𝗶𝘁𝘆 𝗺𝗲𝗺𝗯𝗲𝗿𝘀 𝘁𝗼 𝗵𝗼𝗹𝗱 𝗼𝗳𝗳 𝗼𝗻 𝗰𝗼𝗺𝗽𝗹𝗲𝘁𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗼𝗻𝗹𝗶𝗻𝗲 𝘀𝘂𝗿𝘃𝗲𝘆 𝘂𝗻𝘁𝗶𝗹 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝗲𝗻𝗴𝗮𝗴𝗲𝗺𝗲𝗻𝘁 𝗽𝗿𝗼𝗰𝗲𝘀𝘀 𝗮𝗻𝗱 𝗰𝗼𝗻𝘀𝘂𝗹𝘁𝗮𝘁𝗶𝗼𝗻 𝗼𝗽𝗽𝗼𝗿𝘁𝘂𝗻𝗶𝘁𝗶𝗲𝘀 𝗮𝗿𝗲 𝗺𝗼𝗿𝗲 𝗳𝘂𝗹𝗹𝘆 𝗱𝗲𝘃𝗲𝗹𝗼𝗽𝗲𝗱.

Meet with the Mass Transit project team pop-up Community Engagement Event that will be held at the Street Market in Caloundra on Sunday 16th May from 8.00 to 1.00

Sunshine Coast Mass Transit Project – OSCAR Inc Planning

OSCAR – Information and links about the SC Regional Council Planning Scheme 2024

SCRC Planning Scheme 2024 – OSCAR Inc

Council Website which has the actual surveys– on Stormwater and Mass Transit


Motion put that the correspondence be endorsed and accepted.

Moved: Muriel                                   Seconded: Graeme               Carried

  1. Treasurer’s Report – John

TAPP General Account

As at 30 April 2021
Balance brought Forward from 1/04/2021 $                        10,698.49
Interest   01/03/2021 $                                    .12
Cheque Deposit Donation $                              250.00
Membership – Ben Elkins $                                 20.00
Bank Transaction Fee $                                  4.00
Bank Rebate $                                  4.00
Balance as at 30/04/2021  $                        10,968.61


Thanks to the Diamond Head Neighbourhood watch for their generous donation.

Financial Membership:  41 as at 31/04/2021

Motion put that this report be accepted as a true record of our account to date:

Moved: John               Seconded: Carla          Carried


  1. Matters for Information

Update on the Pumicestone Passage Local Management Body – Graeme

The Pumicestone Passage Local Management Association has been approved as an association and will now go on a membership drive. The AGM will be held early in the New Year. Graeme is currently the President. This group aims to be able to solve a lot of the problems mentioned earlier in the meeting. It will also look at the catchment water flow and stormwater issues.

Convergence follow up – Pumicestone Passage and Catchment Stakeholder Group had a meeting to begin to develop the plan for the Passage for the next 4 years. The Convergence outcomes will be integral in this plan. The Local Management Association needs to be involved with this group as well.

TS Onslow UpdateContinued weeding and trimming to maintain the site.

Caloundra Community Hub – Carla

A steering committee was elected on which TAPP has a representative.

It was decided that –

*Caloundra Community Hub be registered as a business.

*A bank account be opened at the Bendigo Bank – Rotary to put in $500 initially

*The Hub use the standard Fair-Trading Constitution with inserts for the Hub

*Community Groups will need to meet the costs on a yearly basis

New TAPP Stickers – New stickers will be ready by next month

Beerwah East Meeting with Council

Council is keen to maintain the Inter-Urban Break and is in favor of Beerwah East as the next development but the pressure from the State Government to provide housing for the influx of people post covid may mean that Halls Creek will be considered as a development site.

Open Consultation re Shelley Beach Coastal Study –Judy

The report is due in June now not May and it will be presented to a closed Council Meeting. Groups who were involved in the site walks were supposed to have follow up meetings with Council and be updated on proceedings. Not all groups have been notified about this.

SC Council Division Two Meeting – Paul

Terry Landsberg meets monthly with all the Community Groups. Information from the meeting on 5th May-

* Council Supports the Community Hub

* Music Festival will be on again from 1st to 3rd October

* Parking issues at Golden Beach – discussion about metering this area

* Trial night flights at the Caloundra Airport has not been popular

* Encouraged all groups members to go to the Create Caloundra site and the Mass Transit survey

Ramsar Signage and Brochure

Jason Hunt will be offering grants soon and we will apply for funds to create a brochure about the Pumicestone Passage and Ramsar. We would like signage about this area being a Ramsar sanctuary placed on the highway, perhaps at the entrance to Golden Beach and at the boat ramps but we will need to find funds for this.

The Ramsar sign for the Onslow Site is being created at the moment and should be onsite soon.

  1. Matters for Discussion

Shared Council Revegetation Project – Carla

Ashley Goodman will be the Council Officer who will look after our group.

We will be provided with all the necessary tools to weed and plant but we will need to come ready with closed in shoes and sun protection. We will have a brief induction on the day and will need to sign in. Other local residents will be encouraged to join us. Our insurance will cover us. We will meet at 8.00 and work till 10.00 when morning tea will be provided.

Ashley’s available days are as follows

The third Tuesday of each month, the 2nd, 3rd and 4th Wednesday of each month, the 2nd 3rd and 4th Thursday of each month. If you would like to be part of this group, please let me know your preferred day. At the meeting a sheet was passed around for interested members to choose their preferred day and this will be decided soon. 

Boat Trip along the Passage with Jason Hunt MP for Caloundra

Jason is organising a meeting for the 8th June with Sel Sultman, the coastal Engineer for the Department of Environment and Science (DES) to discuss with the community the issue of the Island wash-over. (As this is also our TAPP Meeting day we will advise if any venue or time change occurs due to this meeting.)  We showed Jason the middens and erosion around Bell’s Creek then up to the opening of Coochin Creek then up to the narrows, past the water ski area.

Bells Creek Erosion Project – Paul

The Council will work with Healthy Land and Water (HLW) and TAPP to eradicate the weeds along the bank. We will receive a grant from HLW and this year it will be used to pay for weed control as well as a Cultural Heritage Study to map the cultural heritage sites in this area.

World Environment Day (WED) – Sat 26th June

TAPP will hold an information day at the TS Onslow site, from 9.00 to 1.00pm. Wildlife Preservation South Qld (WPSQ) as well as Night Eyes, the Coast Guard and the Neighbourhood Watch groups will set up stalls on the day. We will set up a small group to help organise this event. If you are interested, please let Carla know.

ABN Application

During our last experience with the grants process we were told we needed an ABN to receive grants and if we didn’t have one it would be an expense to the grant provider. When talking to the Australian Tax Office they said we also needed a tax file number. However, after much paperwork we have been advised by an accountant that we don’t need an ABN after all. Further investigation will be done.

Face-book Training – Paul

We were advised that we should post on our Face book more often to maintain interest in TAPP. Jason Hunt has offered to provide some training for us.  Thanks to Lissa for maintaining the page up to now.

  1. Around the Table

Gerry- Thanked us for the meeting and congratulated TAPP for its work.

Jude  (WPSQ)– Council is commencing a Shore Bird Study. We are not sure if they are aware of all the work that has already been done by Jill Chamberlain and the shorebird group. Jude and WPSQ will follow this up.

WPSQ was asked by members to write to Council requesting that they also declare a Climate Emergency. Here is the link to the Urgent Climate Action Network Sunshine Coast FB page.


There is a post about their event at USC with Adrian Whitehead from the national campaign on May 22nd.

It was announced in the Federal Budget that funding would be available for the Nicklin Way on and off ramps which will cut into Ben Bennet Reserve and make Third Avenue a road with 4-lane plus cycle path etc. WPSQ is considering taping the space that this road will take to inform the public about how big this project will be.

As mentioned last month a new community group is campaigning to reduce the impact of this road. The group is called Value Caloundra Community and this is their face-book page.


John Groves – Received a call from Ed Stevenson from the Observer and City News. They operated for 15 years and put out 30 copies of their paper each year. He gave copies of all these to John. John offered them to the group. Graeme has claimed them and TAPP will collect the articles that relate to the Passage.

Paul thanked everyone for coming and closed the meeting at 4.40

Our next meeting will be on Tuesday 8th June at 3.00 pm at the Caloundra Power Boat Club but you will be advised if there is any change.